17.10 Release Notes
Ubuntu Budgie v17.10 (artful) Release: Oct 19th, 2017
New features and enhancements
- Files (Nautilus) 3.26 with Folder-Color to change color and add emblems to folders
- Files now come with Various Document Templates available to use
- Settings (gnome-control-center) has had a stylish makeover
- GNOME-based apps are now available at the latest upstream version 3.26 (if released)
- Budgie-welcome now has proper header bars so can move the window!
- Budgie-welcome now translated now displays in multiple languages thanks to our fantastic transifex translation team. Superb job to you all. You have done us proud :)
- One click switch between IBUS and FCITX
- Replaced GNOME Photos with gThumb
- Budgie-welcome default settings now have stylish and extended makeovers
- Budgie-welcome includes new link to the Ubuntu Budgie shop
- Gadgets, clothing and other items to buy
- Ubuntu Budgie desktops and All-in-one computers to purchase
- Budgie-welcome can now install many new third-party budgie applets
- Global Menu Applet can be added to the panel
- Budgie-welcome included links to snap and flatpak websites for extra software install options
- One-click theming has better font support for Material design based themes - fonts are better sized.
- Budgie Desktop 10.4 uplift from 10.2.9
- Stylish Alt-Tab support
- Raven now supports Spotify
- Switch windows controls to the left or right support
- Places now supports encrypted volumes and SMB shares and other fixes.
- Supports customisable date and time display
- Bottom panel popovers now work without the dreaded "jump down" effect
- All popovers are now stylishly animated
- Raven has been restyled - Budgie Settings dialog now introduced
- Workspace applet completely revamped
- Budgie Menu revamped - easier to type and find things
- Support for left and right side panels
- All panels can now be converted into Docks
- All panels support transparency for the system theme
- All panels and docks can now dynamically autohide
- Night-light and Caffeine (deactivates screensaver) are now shipped as default panel icons
- Screen lock has had a stylish makeover
- Move from Terminix to Tilix for the terminal emulator
- Support Tilix Quake mode - just press F12!
- Ubuntu 17.10 Community Contest Wallpapers - congrats to all the winners!
- Added a material design inspired wallpaper - used when using budgie-welcome makeovers.
- Revamped Panel Icons - stylish support for common applications such as Caffeine and Dropbox
- login screen changed from lightdm-gtk-greeter to slick-greeter
- Dropbox icon correctly displayed in the panel
- GNOME-Control-Settings icons are now accessible via the menu
- Extra terminals uxterm and xterm are no longer shown in the menu
- various applications that were should twice in the menu out-of-the-box are now shown just once.
- Reduced memory idle usage by dropping tracker related applications.
- Dropped GNOME Contacts, GNOME Documents and GNOME Photos
- Debian wallpaper is no longer shipped with Ubuntu Budgie
- Display video thumbnails in Files
- Disable default Guest Session
- For legacy BIOS boots, Plymouth now correctly shows the crypt password entry field for when drives are encrypted. Note - you should still avoid EFI Boot full encypted drives since this long running issue across all Ubuntu variants is still broken.
- Can now remove default installed applications without removing all key budgie desktop applications.
- Fixes for the AppIndicator applet to not display huge icons such as Steam, menu theming fixes
- New material design wallpaper which replaces our xenial based wallpaper for material designs. This means faster install times for these makeovers.
- Slim down the ISO size - we have managed to shrink the ISO from approx 1.5G at 17.04 to 1.3G at 17.10 whilst adding everything above. Magic!
How to upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10
IMPORTANT: remember to double-check you have the following vital package before you upgrade:
sudo apt install ubuntu-budgie-desktop
After the release of 17.10, you will be offered to upgrade when you run Software & Updates.
Alternatively, from a command line run:
For upgrading from the Final Beta:
Some of the packages that were installed as part of the Ubuntu Budgie backports PPA (ppa:ubuntubudgie/backports) will be uninstalled as part of the upgrade. Use budgie-welcome to reinstall anything that is removed.
If you see the following issue:
Errors were encountered while processing: /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-I4K4cn/075-gir1.2-budgie-1.0_10.4-1ubuntu4_amd64.deb E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) Unpacking gir1.2-budgie-1.0 (10.4-1ubuntu4) ... dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/gir1.2-budgie-1.0_10.4-1ubuntu4_amd64.deb (--unpack): trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/girepository-1.0/Budgie-1.0.typelib', which is also in package gir1.2-budgie-desktop-1.0 10.4-0ubuntu0.1 Errors were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/gir1.2-budgie-1.0_10.4-1ubuntu4_amd64.deb E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Run the following:
sudo apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-overwrite" install gir1.2-budgie sudo apt -f install sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade sudo apt install --reinstall ubuntu-budgie-desktop budgie-desktop-environment sudo apt purge gir1.2-budgie-desktop
We recommend removing the following applications to reduce your startup memory usage:
sudo apt purge gnome-contacts gnome-documents gnome-photos tracker
The first time you run budgie-welcome, Tilix Quake mode (press F12) will be automatically enabled.
Please refer to the community wiki for more help:
Also, Ask Ubuntu has an excellent guide to help you upgrade:
If you find that after the upgrade clicking the menu button crashes the panel, then CTRL+ALT+T to open a terminal then run:
nohup budgie-panel --reset --replace &
How to upgrade from 16.04 to 17.10
There is not a direct 16.04 to 17.10 upgrade route. You are recommended to to-do a fresh install - obviously remembering to backup any important documents etc. first.
To download the ISO, head on over to: