Beta 2 of Ubuntu Budgie has been released (5th April) – one short month after beta 1! This is the final beta before the actual release on the 26th April.
For beta 2 we have concentrated on bug-fixing and smoothing off those rough edges our user community have reported. As always – if you haven’t told us about an issue … we don’t know about it – and that includes all the vloggers out there!
So in no particular order beta 2 has the following changes over and above beta 1 .
- Weather Applet: We have managed to get this working again. Yay! Available from Menu – budgie-applets
- Budgie Calendar Applet: backports a fix from upstream to ensure custom date format are remembered + styling fixes for themes like Pocillo
- Ant-Theme – latest git version of Ant-Theme is available that includes some nice budgie desktop fixes
- Pocillo theme:
- theming of the lock-screen
- Pocillo now support slick-greeter theming – switched slick-greeter theme to Pocillo-dark, with a more transparent entry field
- better headerbar styling of the window controls; fixed black separator displays
- Arc theme has styling fixes for for various issues with budgie desktop, gnome-shell and cinnamon
- TLP no longer pulls in the Postfix mail-server
- Showtime Applet now can display 12 and 24hr date format
- Show the default Ubuntu Budgie icon for budgie-welcome/themes and applets for those users not using Pocillo icon theme – before no icon was shown
- Showtime Applet now displays correctly on HiDPI screens
- Hotcorners Applet trigger mechanism takes into account how close the cursor is to a corner – it is less likely now to trigger accidently
- Window Shuffler is brand-new – GUI and keyboard based grid tiling comes to budgie (see later)
- Added a fix for the Budgie Desktop system tray to hopefully resolve black-backgrounds and superimposed icons
- Window Previews now correctly displays when activated via Budgie Settings
- Budgie Welcome has had a whole series of changes
- Budgie Welcome now launches on the live ISO session
- Our discourse support site is now displayed on the home-page. The social media icons have moved to the right of the screen and Gitter has now been removed (since discourse is our new support site)
- Community page has been revamped
- Lots of translation updates
- Recommendations – Flatpack install now works
- In-line with Ubuntu Policy, third-party repo installs now displays a prompt. Accepting that prompt continues with the installation and adds the third-party repo e.g. Chrome, Vivaldi, Ubuntu Budgie backports PPA
- Vimix theme is now installable via our backports PPA since the third-party we originally linked to is not actively maintaining its package
- Skippy-XD has now been removed from the recommendations page – the software is unmaintained for a few years now. It is still installable via command-line through our backports PPA on a “try if it works” basis.
- Vivaldi is no longer shown on the 32bit ISO – there is no 32bit packages available
- snap version is displayed on the Welcome About icon
- Our budgie-plymouth package has now received a fix to stop upgrades crashing when moving from 18.04 –> 20.04 or from 18.04 –> 18.10. We will be backporting this fix for 17.10 and budgie-remix 16.04
- Minimal install:
- Budgie Welcome now launches on the minimal installation
- More packages have been removed to cleanup the minimal installation
- Minimal install now defaults to Pocillo GTK theme and Pocillo icon theme to ensure commonality with the full install
Introducing Window Shuffler
New for Beta 2 is our keyboard and GUI friendly window-shuffler capability. This short video explains all – enjoy!
Introducing our new support site
Also – we now have introduced our new support site. Thanks to the generosity of discourse.org, our new discourse based website is now up and running.
One to book-mark https://discourse.ubuntubudgie.org
More information can be found here .